Saturday, July 26, 2008

Puffins at Matinicus Rock!





Sailing south along the coast of Matinicus Island, past Ragged Island (originally called Ragged Arse Island), it was easy to appreciate the isolation of this area, especially in the days before air transport and diesel engines. It was a day of grey water and grey skies.


It was an exciting moment when Matinicus Rock showed up out of the greyness of the day



I had heard that there was a puffin colony on Matinicus Rock and even though I really did not expect to be able to see any while I was just coating by on Rincewind, imagine my surprise when I saw a whole group of puffins in the water in front of the boat! Yes, these are puffins –












I saw three separate groups of puffins before I had to tack to head to Muscongus Bay. I must agree with the various accounts I have read about the isolated feeling and then eternal grayness of Matinicus Rock.

















Heading back toward the coast, the promised poor weather finally closed in and the rain started.


The Cap’n looks happy about this turn of events. It is always good to have three jackets and a cap on in the middle of July!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the cap'n *I* remember!