Saturday, August 2, 2008

Leaving the Midcoast

The Maine coast is divided into regions and during this summer, I have traveled to the “Down East” area (Roque island), to “Mt. Desert Island”, “Penobscot Bay”, and the “Midcoast”. Now, leaving Sheepscot Bay, I am heading into Casco Bay, where I will spend the next few days. The sailing today is a reminder that sailing can be hard work, with the SW wind blowing 20+ knots and a big swell is coming from the ocean. It is a fun day as I go past “The Sisters” - yes, there are four of them – and Seguin Island.
Much of the day is spent beating into the wind until I make the turn in toward New Meadows River and end up on a nice broad reach.
Once I am up in the river, I pass a small boat full of people. I grab my camera to take their picture, just as they take a picture of Rincewind – laughter ensues.
I end the day in a beautiful, wonderfully protected anchorage in “The Basin”. It feels like a mountain lake. The entrance is hidden from the river and is a fun experience.

No comments: