Saturday, August 2, 2008

Irony is a mineral









After a very peaceful night at anchor behind the Goslings, I was able to ponder the name of Irony Island. I got in the dinghy and went to visit the Goslings and Irony Island.


Both of the Goslings have camping areas and are extensively used by kayakers. They are beautiful little islands.

I think that the name of Irony Island does not come from and linguistic usage, but from the fact that the island seems to be made from iron ore. The reddish color of the rocks is different than any of the surrounding islands.

There was a welcoming committee of gulls and cormorants.














I had a good chat with a sailor from CT, talking about Chesapeake Bay and info about going through the Cape Cod Canal. After a nice 8-mile sail in the gloomy weather, I anchored in one of the most famous Casco Bay spots, Jewell Island. This anchorage is a narrow slot on the western side of the island, but is full of boats and is very narrow. I got there just in time to snag a good spot. By evening, and by the time it started raining, there were about twelve sailboats in this little area.

No comments: