Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fog again

I waited until almost noon before leaving Jewell Island so that I would be able to see the islands and Fort Gorges on the way to Portland. But, as soon as I left the anchorage, the fog clamped down. It lifted for about a mile, when I was between Great Diamond Island and Peaks Island, so there were some views there.


No view of Fort Gorges, from sea, but once I picked my way into the harbor and moored at Centerboard Yacht Club, Jake picked me up and ran errands with me.

I got the propane tanks filled, bought stamps, and did my grocery shopping. Jake made a great dinner of scallops and haddock, with roasted vegetables! After dinner, Jean, Jake, Moxie (the dog) and I went for a walk around the tip of South Portland – finally got to see Fort Gorges!



1 comment:

S/V Andante said...

Enjoying reading of your Maine adentures. i got curious about Thrum Cap and found these definitions for thrum
5. Nautical. to insert short pieces of rope yarn through (canvas) and thus give it a rough surface, as for wrapping about a part to prevent chafing.

1. to play on a stringed instrument, as a guitar, by plucking the strings, esp. in an idle, monotonous, or unskillful manner; strum.
2. to sound when thrummed on, as a guitar or similar stringed instrument.
3. to drum or tap idly with the fingers.
–verb (used with object) 4. to play (a stringed instrument, or a melody on it) by plucking the strings, esp. in an idle, monotonous, or unskillful manner; strum.
5. to drum or tap idly on.
6. to recite or tell in a monotonous way.

Maybe that gives some enlightenment! Fair winds, Alison S/V Andante