Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lightning causes a problem!

Rincewind was (lightly) struck by lightning on Aug. 7 in the Block Island anchorage, the night before I was set to sail back to Chesapeake Bay. The lightning blew a fuse in the Aqualine regulator, preventing the engine from charging the batteries, but I was able to replace that fuse. However, the radar scanner unit was put out of action. Without the radar, I was concerned about sailing alone on the ocean, since I rely on that to keep track of other ships while I am resting. After calling a couple of places in Newport to try to get the unit fixed on short notice (impossible, of course) I decided to limit the amount of overnight sailing I would have to do and am working my way down Long Island Sound, through NYC, down the Jersey Coast, up the Delaware Bay and through the C&D Canal. I just have to hope that I get home in time to start work! I will not be posting any more trip pix until I get back to Maryland - then I will bring everything up to date.

No comments: